Dr Mwangi, CAAST-Net's African Co-ordinator, has been decorated by Mr Etienne DE PONCINS, the French Ambassador in Kenya, on behalf the French Government with the French Academic Palms, on October the 12th at 18h30, at his Residence in Nairobi. The Ordre des Palmes Académiques (Order of Academic Palms) is an Order of Chivalry of France for academics and cultural and educational figures.
Eric Mwangi was made Knight of the Order of Academic Palms for his major contributions to French Kenyan partnership in Science and Education. In his speech, HE the Ambassador highlighted :
- His early scientific research works in veterinary sciences with Dr Emmanuel Camus, former director of IMVT (Tropical Medicine and Veterinary Institute) in the nineties,
- His strong commitment in the preparation of the French Kenyan Agreement for partnership in science and technology signed in 2009 and in its implementation,
- His involvement in the project for popularizing science in Kenya, founded by l'Institut de France,
- His major role in several EU projects : CAAST NET, CAAST NET +, ERAFRICA, BRAGMA,
- His participation as an Honorary Committee member of the recently funded el-Africa EU-FP7 project on ICT Research & e-Infrastructures coordinated by Sigma Orionis France.
Photos of the event and infromation in French can be found here.